Monday, February 12, 2007

On course for ...

Mondays are my busiest day in work. Consequently, come the end of the day, I am ex-hausted, ex-asperated and ex-tremely tired.

I am so looking forward to my half term next week when I intend to re-lax, re-cuperate and re-juvenate, re-ward myself for all my hard work.

The SCBWI in their latest in house publication Words and Pictures included an article with tips from writers about how to keep motivated and how to fit writing into your life. One writer suggested rewards; mentally noting that if aim X is achieved I will receive reward Y definitely keeps me going. I'm very goal orientated in this respect. With that in mind, I've been planning what to do over the Easter and Summer, never mind half term which I've more or less decided upon.

Over Easter I may go on Alan Durant's writing course in France. I met him last year. For any of you who don't know his work,he's a children's author with books ranging from picture books to YA fiction. His course is on writing for children. However I also noticed that the Arvon Foundation is running such a course in the summer hosted by Malorie Blackman and Lee Weatherley, although this may be booked up. Candy Gourlay, a writer friend told me she'd signed up for the Arvon course run by Tony Bradman and Julia Bell which also looks good, so alongside wanting to travel, I want to do one of these courses.

It's just a case of deciding which and determining whether the indulgence is worth it. I should really save up for a new bathroom and the MA I want to start. Then again, perhaps I can do all three if I walk to work, starve myself and become a hermit for long enough.