Saturday, February 03, 2007

Editing, proofing, copy editing

I've been working on a few queries related to the Challenge Series of books for Hodder and WHSmith today and it got me thinking about the different jobs there are in the publishing world. I read something recently about the fact that a lot of editing work was being done by freelancers. This, I believe, was the case with the copy editor for my York Notes. I wondered how common this was and that set me on a journey round the internet.

In my research on this subject I discovered this site about copy editing and I found out that, alongside other institutions, Learn Direct has information and a course on it! The Society for Editors and Proof Readers is another useful place to go if this area of the publishing world is of interest to you.

Other news- I'm hoping to work on The View from My Window this weekend, after my writers' group gave me lots of positive feedback on it last week; it's spurred me on, and I need to draft the beginning of a short story as a possible contribution to an anthology.

Besides all that, I intend to go for a walk and possibly the cinema tomorrow. It is the weekend after all!