Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Celebration

Celebration time! My work is done and I break for the summer on Friday!

Can you tell I am just a bit excited? :-)

I am looking forward to getting down to some serious writing - revising One of a Kind being number one priority and, of course, my work for Philip Allan which has a deadline.

Other than that, I've signed up to Sky- mainly for the movies but also the Discovery and knowledge channels. I've resisted till now but have finally succumbed. I'll try not to turn into a couch potato.

If you're thinking of going to the cinema, let me tell you, in my opinion, the choice of films at the moment (in the UK) isn't great. In the end it was a choice between The Lake House, Hard Candy and The Omen for me. I was tempted to watch The Lake House simply because of Keanu Reeves who I once had a thing for, alongside Denzel Washington, who I still have a thing for, but the plot, whilst interesting looked pointless. Hard Candy looked really interesting and a twist on the normal but the review described it as sadistic and violent and that put me off.

In case you were even remotely interested in my reasoning!

In the end The Omen won. I read the book as a teenager and it stayed with me for some time. I found it gruesome and scary back then. I think I saw the original 1976 film also when I was younger, and I remember that too being scary, but this time around, I really wasn't scared- not at all. Perhaps it's because I'm older and less easily shocked, or, perhaps it was the film itself. Maybe it just wasn't very good?

I've been through a lot in my life time and I think there are so many horror and violent films made nowadays that I have become desensitised. To be honest, rather than the film, my lack of fear, is what I found scary. I guess I've changed and that is a scary thing to realise.

Or maybe I just went to the wrong film?!!!