Wednesday, June 21, 2006

SCBWI Retreat

Okay, folks here it is, so far...

The retreat:
This was SCBWI (British region's) first such endeavour and it really was worthwhile.

It was held at Croydon Hall, an old country house, I'd never heard of, and which was set in beautiful Somerset country. The views were spectacular and the surroundings very peaceful. We were fed a diet of very healthy vegetarian food which meant that by the second day we were suffering from sugar withdrawal and were desperately in need of dessert, which we finally got, AND it was lovely. Of course, the food and the setting were not the main focus. The writing was! And that was fab.

The first real day was Saturday which we spent writing and learning. Debi Gliori- writer and illustrator was the invited speaker and she was really very good. She spoke about her experiences in publishing, how she got started and what she is doing at the moment. As a novelist and picture book writer and illustrator she had a lot to offer and plenty of talent to share. Amongst her pearly words of advice were the ideas that agents were like umbrellas after the rain and a plot was like knitting. Remove one thread and the whole thing can unravel.

We also met Imogen Cooper, fiction editor with Chicken House who went through the ins and outs of the publishing world and editing process. She outlined what Chicken House is looking for and the main errors that writers make. There's loads more to tell and once I've figured out how to upload photos from my mobile onto here, I shall post some pics and write in more detail about the retreat.

Suffice to say, I got a lot out of the weekend: I met some fellow writers and accomplished a lot. I got some thinking and writing done which will definitely help me to move my plots along....so I would definitely recommend time away from it all to all of you.

Well, here is the photo, as promised. It was taken by Chitra, an attendee, and is of some of us on a walk. I say us, but I have to admit that, when these adventurous few went on an early morning walk, I chose to stay in bed. Not the right attitude, I know.... so here are Debi Gliori, Natasha, Terrie and Gill.