Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Corrected, Dejected, Rejected

Hello readers .... ( I could add infected to my title as I think I am coming down with something, but that would be taking the rhyme a bit too far methinks)

Well it is official: I have been rejected too many times for me to remember and actually too many times for me to care. Recent rejections have been interesting. I quote some for your reference. Please note these rejections all refer to the same book.

One agent said: 'Whilst I found your characters sympathetic, the story didn't grab me. That said, I'm going to pass.'
Another said: 'I wasn't moved as much as I'd hoped I would be.' She did ask me to bear her in mind for any other novels of this genre I write.
Another: The book was too descriptive and also too short, but this is just one reader's opinion. (a paraphrase)
Another just said thanks but no thanks. ( a paraphrase)

So, from this, I conclude that although the story was strong enough for some, the writing wasn't and although the writing was strong enough for others the story wasn't. Dare I refer back to the cycling analogy I drew on Friday.....? I get the distinct feeling that I am going round in circles.

Well there is only one conclusion!!! There is clearly a conspiracy against me ever getting published :-)

That, or this particular book is just not meant to be published right now. I'm a stubborn one though so I'm afraid it'll be back to the drawing board tomorrow, if I feel up to it.

Anastasia Suen referred to one agent's advice on her site- he said trying to find an agent is like dating. The same rules apply. Guess that means you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince (no offence intended to the frogs- frogs are nice: just not suited to my book).

Someone will love my book and will publish it.

They will, they will, they will. I just need to hypnotise them into submission....