Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Time

Yesterday, after cooking some tacos, I heard from a friend I've not seen in a few years and it reminded me of former times which was both a happy and sad experience. We were in Uni together. She's going travelling for a bit and that brought to mind when I went to Australia and Thailand in the summer of 2002 and the events leading up to that, and, today, I found something out that was not unexpected but, all the same, a little bit sad for me.

Life's funny, isn't it? or as Forrest Gump put it 'Life's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.' I remember going on a date to see that film and really not liking it, but I think it was the company. If you'd asked me eight years ago what I thought my life would have been like now I wouldn't have said what it is.

I guess, life throws all kinds of surprises at us and I, perhaps, more than most, have made choices that others wouldn't have done. Okay, I don't want to sound glum because I'm not. I just sometimes wonder what life would have been like if I'd made different choices, but I guess we all wonder these things from time to time, don't we?

Susan's comments to this post earlier put me in mind of a poem which really says it all. It's by Robert Frost and it's called The Road Not Taken. I've copied it here for you to see just what I mean.

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference


Today I have some units for an educational resource to write and I'm reading Hide and Seek, a book I bought a while ago. So far, it's proving to be a good buy.