Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Growth

I'm slowly killing the orchid plant I was given as a leaving present from my last job. Not intentionally of course, but I just have this way with plants. They die on me. I told my line manager it would die and sadly my words are becoming truth.

The only plants I could ever get to survive were cacti but then they're used to harsh conditions aren't they? I had a little cactus on my window-sill as a child and it would go weeks without being watered and still it lived. Now, that's my kind of plant!

Saying that, I've been very good with the orchid plant - watered it once a week, but the flowers still turned brown and hung dry and limp like drooping lanterns, so in the end I removed them. The leaves look okay and I'm hoping the flowers will come back at some stage, but for now, the plant looks pretty bare.

I think some people are just better with plants than others. My mum was great with them and my one sister is too. I guess for them, it's a creative outlet. I'm just not a plant person. Writing, yes. Plants that rely on me to grow- no.

Let's just say, I'm glad my writing doesn't die on me the way plants do.